Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Look Ma, New Feet!


my replacement foot (in white) next to an original (in black)
Update3: The store for these feet and my upgraded feet for Ikea Gilbert Chairs is over here.

Update2: look at the bottom of this post - due to popular demand, we're now selling these!

Update: thanks to Ikea Hacker for the love!

I was refinishing a six Ikea Gilbert chairs with fresh paint and polycrylic when I noticed that I was missing a few feet - they must have popped off over the years.

I went to my local Ikea, but they don't sell these chairs anymore, so the replacement parts are sadly no longer available! ...until I created a 3D model and printed up a batch of fresh chair feet.

They are a little tighter than the originals, which I'm hoping means that the replacements will be less prone to popping off.

Next, I need to paint the replacement feet with a touch of black paint.  ... or, one could just print them in black ABS, or go for a splash of color instead.

I published the design to YouMagine (an object design repository) for anyone else who wants to repair these awesome modern chairs.

Purchase these chair feet right over here!

6 comments:

  1. What do you mean that you 'printed' a batch of these feet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a 3D printer, I printed those feet out of plastic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

      Delete
  2. Thanks, printed some today, and they work great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Great idea but I dont seem to be able to get access to the webpage in the link above could you send the 3d print file directly please? Many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry, (for message above) ksidaway@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete