Monday, October 13, 2014

3D Printing Upgraded Chair Feet

Earlier, I designed and printed some replacement feet for my Ikea Gilbert chairs (see that earlier project here).

We recently moved to a new home and we have gorgeous pine wood floors from 1925, and we obviously don't want to scratch them up with chair feet, so I tried putting stick-on felt pads to the chair feet, but they slid off with use, leaving scratches AND sticky messes on our floors.

So, I pulled up my old design files and came up with a chair foot that is:

  • slightly larger diameter (~25mm versus ~19mm), to distribute weight over a larger area
  • has a lip on the bottom to prevent the felt pads from slipping off
  • still compatible with IKEA Gilbert chairs

New feet shown with and without the felt pads
You can download the file and print it yourself I recommend black ABS plastic, 30% infill, and orient the feet with the smaller diameter facing down.

If you don't have a 3D printer handy, I've set up a store for my replacement chair feet over here (I sell them with the appropriately sized felt pads included).

No comments:

Post a Comment